The Ministry of Defence this week at the Brunei International Defence Exhibition (Bridex) accepted two Sikorsky S-70i™ BLACK HAWK helicopters into the Royal Brunei Air Force following an unveiling attended by His Majesty the Sultan. Two more Sikorsky S-70i BLACK HAWK helicopters are currently undergoing the process of acceptance at the Royal Brunei Air Force. Equipped with a suite of advanced avionics and sensors, the multirole aircraft can perform a variety of missions over land and water, including search and rescue, humanitarian relief, anti-piracy, troop transport and medical evacuation. Sikorsky is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX).
“These S-70i aircraft are equipped with exceptional operational capability to meet the regional security requirements of the Brunei Ministry of Defence,” said Jennifer Caruso, Sikorsky’s Vice President of Army and Air Force Programs. “We thank the Ministry of Defence for their trust and support, and we look forward to serving the Royal Brunei Air Force as it fields a modern and highly capable rotary wing platform that will perform a diverse set of security missions.”
The Brunei Ministry of Defence ordered 12 S-70i BLACK HAWK aircraft, all of which are set to arrive by the end of 2014. The contract includes ground support equipment, spares and technical training. The Ministry of Defence has an option to order an additional 10 aircraft as part of the same contract.
The first batch of four aircraft arrived November 27 via Antonov transport plane from Sikorsky’s BLACK HAWK completion center in West Palm Beach, Florida, two months ahead of schedule.
Sold directly by Sikorsky to international militaries and government agencies, the S-70i helicopter delivers the same power and lift performance as S-70M BLACK HAWK aircraft. Aircraft can be customized to meet specific mission needs.
Sikorsky, based in Stratford, Conn., USA, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., USA, provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
- Brunei Accepts Four Sikorsky S-70i™ BLACK HAWK Helicopters for Regional Security Missions (sys-con.com)
- Brunei Accepts Four Sikorsky S-70i™ BLACK HAWK Helicopters for Regional Security Missions (virtual-strategy.com)
- Brunei Accepts Four Sikorsky S-70i™ BLACK HAWK Helicopters for Regional Security Missions (sacbee.com)
- Associated Aircraft Group to Support and Maintain S-76D™ Helicopter (asianmilitaryreview.wordpress.com)
- Black Hawks new milestone in modernisation of defence forces (nosint.blogspot.com)
- LifePort Awarded Critical Systems Armor Contract to Equip U.S. Navy CH-53 Helicopters (asianmilitaryreview.wordpress.com)