The Canadian Space Agency (CSA) is proud to announce that Canadian satellite, Cascade Smallsat and Ionospheric Polar Explorer (CASSIOPE) was successfully launched today at noon (12:00 p.m. EDT). Lift off took place from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.
CASSIOPE is the first Canadian hybrid satellite to carry a dual mission in the fields of telecommunications and scientific research. The main objectives are to gather information to better understand the science of space weather, while verifying high-speed communications concepts through the use of advanced space technologies.
The Honourable James Moore, Minister of Industry and Minister responsible for the CSA, commented on this first launch under his tenure.
“This is a moment of pride for all Canadians. With the CASSIOPE mission, the Government reaffirms its commitment to support Canada‘s space industry while using space technologies to advance knowledge in areas of critical scientific inquiry,” said Minister James Moore.
“The Canadian Space Agency is proud to contribute to the CASSIOPE mission,” said newly appointed President of the CSA Walter Natynczyk. It enables the integration of the Government’s research and development agenda while partnering with Canadian space industry and university science sectors”.
MacDonald Dettwiler & Associates Ltd. (MDA) led a Canadian industrial team that included Magellan Aerospace of Winnipeg Manitoba, COM DEV International of Cambridge, Ontario and the University of Calgary, Alberta in the development of theCASSIOPE mission. The small satellite mission was enabled through contributions from the CSA and Industry Canada’s Technology Partnerships Canada.
For more information on CASSIOPE, visit the Website.
- Updated Falcon rocket blasts off (bbc.co.uk)
- Successful Launch of CASSIOPE: Hybrid Satellite Mission Carrying Science and Telecommunications Payloads (sys-con.com)
- Canada’s CASSIOPE weather satellite launches successfully (sunnewsnetwork.ca)
- Canada’s Cassiope weather satellite launches into space Sunday (sunnewsnetwork.ca)
- Canadian Satellite Launched: CSA, MDA, COM DEV, Magellan And University of Calgary Part of the Team (blogs.ottawacitizen.com)
- SpaceX launches Canadian satellite from California (kansascity.com)
- CASSIOPE launches Sunday carrying UofC technology (beaconnews.ca)